Tuesday, April 10, 2012

About Electric city chickens

My name is Chase Culpepper and I am a fourteen year old at the Montessori school of Anderson. Last Month on march 8th I was doing research on chickens and I was very disappointed to discover that chickens weren't allowed in the city limits of Anderson! My mom had a wonderful chicken coop built for me by a couple of guys who were doing our roof a few weeks before,and I was VERY excited to find out that i was finally able to get chickens. So I called a few of my council members and I went to a council meeting, where I presented a 19-page essay by KT Labadie (the founder of Urbanchickens.org), and a letter of recommendation from her as well. The process is still ongoing and the meeting will be this month, but in the mean-time, I have had a newspaper article and an on-line article about my efforts published. I want chickens for a variety of reasons; pest-control, lessening food waste, fertilizer, companionship, and most importantly FRESH EGGS!!! I also want to start programs for local food cabinets, soup kitchens, and lower income areas, that will allow them to keep laying hens to provide them with a steady supply of eggs, and a cheaper source of food. In my proposal for the council members, I am stating that only Laying hens should be allowed, NO ROOSTERS, a limit on the number of hens, and upkeep requirements. I want my girls as soon as I can get them, and I will not give up on this law!



http://www.cityofandersonsc.com/council/contact-list.pdf <---- The link for the city council members contact info, please support by emailing or sending letters that you are in support and why, try to keep them positive!
http://www.independentmail.com/news/2012/mar/16/student-heads-to-council-for-chickens/ <---- Internet version of article on legalizing laying hens in Anderson.




No comments:

Post a Comment